Travel Insurance

Health Insurance

Health insurance

If you are a Czech citizen travelling to EU countries or the European Economic Area and seek treatment in a public health care centre, use primarily your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Issued by your health insurance company, this uniform health insurance card is used to access and cover health care. A valid EHIC gives you the right to access necessary medical healthcare during a temporary stay in another Member State.

If you travel to Turkey, Serbia, Montenegro (the Czech Republic has a social security agreement with these countries), the European Health Insurance Card is replaced by the TR/CZ-111 European Form, issued by your health insurer (check with your Czech health insurance company). Please go to Health Insurance Bureau for more information.

Which countries are covered by the European Health Insurance Card?

  • EU countries: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Great Britain
  • the EEA countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway
  • in Switzerland your EHIC card will be accepted based on the agreement on the free movement of persons between the EU and Switzerland, which has covered the new Member States since 1 April 2006
  • in Macedonia your EHIC card will be accepted based on the agreement between the Czech Centre for International Reimbursement and the Health Insurance Fund of Macedonia.


You need to seek treatment covered by your Czech health insurance company at healthcare centres linked to the local system of insurance. It should be provided on the same basis as it would to a resident of that country, which typically does not involve direct payment, excepting co-payment charges and other similar costs. If you had to, for some reason, pay for the treatment, upon return you will be refunded up to the amount covered by the insurance company for the treatment in the given country. If, however, you were treated by for example a private physician, you pay upfront, and upon return you will be refunded only in Czech prices. Health insurance never covers a paid patient co-payment or repatriation. Therefore it is advisable to have a commercial insurance cover. You are welcome to take out the UP travel insurance.

UP travel insurance

If you are travelling abroad, you should have a valid insurance card or the above European form, as well as a commercial cover. A commercial insurance policy covers medical treatment but also patient co-payment, which may amount abroad to dozens of percentage of the treatment charge, and repatriation. While abroad, use primarily your EHIC card and if need be, the UP commercial insurance.

Outbound students under the UP programmes (Erasmus, CEEPUS, developmental programmes, Merrill etc.), group field trips, and students dispatched by the UP to attend a conference and such, may take out a travel policy as part of the agreement between the UP and ERV Travel Insurer.
Insurance cards and information booklets are issued by offices that arrange the programmes:

  • IRO UP for Erasmus+,
  • Faculty IR officer for the other programmes,

at the signing of a grant agreement. Upon handover, the student signs a certificate of the card handover and acknowledgement of having read the terms and conditions of insurance. When you return from abroad, remember to immediately return the card and information booklet.

The travel insurance also complies with the “health insurance” requirements of the Russian Federation visa petition. The insurance company issues a relevant certificate following a request filed by the officer on your behalf (and based on your request).
PRIOR TO YOUR DEPARTURE, you need to register with the Palacký University Olomouc insurance policy No. 2000055471 (applies to stays over 90 days):
Prior to your departure, please email Jiří Zapletal, BOHEMIA Insurance Broker, at, and include the following data:

  1. name and surname
  2. date of birth
  3. venue of activity
  4. date of departure
  5. number of months of mobility

In emergencies, you may submit your details via telephone or in person; please see the contact below.
You will receive a confirmation email confirming your insurance policy for the entire duration of the mobility activity.

Notification for students

The insurance is valid only for the country (countries) and duration where and for which you have been sent by the UP, including the journey there and back to the Czech Republic. The insurance does not cover any private holidays you may take at your destination (e.g. you may tour the country during a week break), personal trips to other countries or any time you spend in the country after the date set out in the agreement, excepting your wait for the next immediate flight or connection to the Czech Republic. This limitation does not apply if your travel to other countries during your abroad programme is related to your student mobility.


IN CASE OF AN INSURED EVENT please follow instructions in the information booklet you have received along with the card or in an attachment to the above confirmation email. Minor costs are paid upfront and after returning home, the client files for reimbursement through the insurance broker (contact details below). In case of a costly treatment or hospitalization, please follow instructions on the card to contact the assistance service. You need to have the UP certificate at all time to confirm that you have been sent out by the university and are therefore insured. The certificate is issued by the same office that issued the card. 

For more details, including claim reporting forms, go to the ERV website.
If you have any questions regarding the extent and terms and conditions of the insurance, please contact the officer who issued the card or the broker, and not the insurance company.


Contact: Jiří Zapletal, Bohemia Insurance Broker, Krapkova 4, Olomouc, tel.: +420 585 415 127, e-mail: